Swimming naked in alphabet soup

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Smitten with possibility

I’m sitting on my bed in my hotel room, rather content, rather intrigued. I’m intrigued with possibility, the possibility of my future.

I’m in Corner Brook. Myself and two of my co-workers came out here to hold a union drive Info Session and to find people to sign union cards. I’ve been here twenty times and never really saw this place before. I’ve become quite smitten with the place, and especially I’m smitten with the Grenfell Campus. It feels like a liberal arts college. Spontaneous art and music, strangers talking to each other, recycling everything available. Beautiful buildings, children running around with wet paint on their hands, theatrical personalities igniting and encouraging one another in hallways, classrooms and lobbies.

Autumn is alive here. The season is a living organism, breathing and changing. The colours surrounding me are beyond vivid. They are flesh and blood. The air is fresh and crisp. The night has revealed her stars to me, suggesting opportunity and promise.

I think I’d like to live here. I think I’d like to teach Women’s Studies at the University. I think I’d like to take some Art courses out here. Not forever, just a year or so. Maybe. I don’t know. I had fantasies of keith and I moving out here, renting (maybe buying? *gasp) a house with a backyard for Daisy. Houses are so affordable here. We’d live simply. We’d hike a lot. We’d go to Gros Mourne all the time. We’d go into town from time to time. We’d fish. Keith would cycle all over the place. We’d enjoy the weekends and evenings. Things would be slower. Fantasies, just fantasies. *sigh*

Of course, this comes in the wake of me applying for a Union Organizer’s job in Winnipeg. I don’t think I will even get an interview, but nonetheless I have imagined myself getting it and starting a new life (with Keith and Daisy of course) in a new place. Not Newfoundland. But could I even leave this place? Could I even leave St. John’s? Would I want to? I’m quietly frightened to death of the possibility of ever having to make such a choice. Of course, the possibility is intriguing.

Possibility. Promise. Warm promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home